A Clearer Google Docs Revision History View
It’s a bit awkward to see who did what in a Google Doc via the version history. That’s something faculty often want to do.
The easiest path I found was to name the oldest and newest versions. Then click to show only named versions. That does it pretty well. The video above shows it with more detail.
I had a spreadsheet that entered blank cells when there was more than one admin for a WordPress site. So if Site_1 had two admins, I’d get two rows of data. The first row for the site would have- siteURL | siteTitle | siteAdmin but the second row for that site would have something like- < blank > | < blank > | siteAdmin I started to just drag down and fill but there was lots of data and it just felt like something for the machine to do. The following Google Script did it for me in a few seconds despite a couple thousand rows of data. Not rocket science but it might be handy for someone and it was a really convenient example of variables and loops when I had a conversation with my son last night.
When @cogdog & @twoodwar Were Building Websites From Google Spreadsheets Years Ago https://t.co/Im7oCecvpg — Keegan?Long-Wheeler (@KeeganSLW) February 28, 2018 This post from Keegan kicked of this demo.It also made me feel old. I can’t believe I’ve been doing this for so long. The goal is to create a pretty flexible template for using Google Forms to Google Sheets to simple website. I opted to do this one in Vue but may get around to doing it in plain JS or jquery if time allows. The first thing you need to do is make the form and put in some entries. You’ll be happier if your form prompts aren’t super long. Make them readable just keep them concise.There are ways to deal with that but they add steps so I’m ignoring them in this post. Once you’ve made a few entries so you have some data to work with, publish your spreadsheet as HTML. File>Publish to the Web. Click OK and what not. Don’t bother going to that link as Google has made that a fake promise. You just need the ID of the document in your current view. It’ll be something painful like 12WsyLvtfIPJkCXgEXsRkrI6dS0_K6brJikZqzkQa8TU and is visible in the URL after the /d/ but before the /edit. You can see the spreadsheet here. It doesn’t really matter but !full transparency! […]
flickr photo shared by OSU Special Collections & Archives : Commons with no copyright restriction (Flickr Commons) A while back I was logging emails in a Google sheet via IFTTT. I’d add a hashtag and forward it on where a spreadsheet would parse out some stuff from the subject line based on the | character. At some point it stopped working and I never quite figured out what the issue was. I thought I wrote about it but, if I did, I can’t find it. It may be in one of my many draft posts. In any case, here’s a better and more customizable solution. It’ll grab anything I label ‘support’ and throw it in a spreadsheet with a few different chunks of information in different columns (to, from, date, subject line, link to the email). You’d open a spreadsheet and name a sheet ‘data.’ Open up the script editor (Tools>Script Editor) and put the script below in it. You might want to change the search parameters. Look at the stuff below the asterisk line. If you want to play around with the right search parameters, just practice in GMail with these parameters and then use them in the query variable below. You will want to set the trigger to run at 1-2AM each day. So now, all I have […]