Fix Adobe’s Annoying Photoshop PNG Transparency Clipping
Photoshop decided it was smarter than me and would override my decisions about exporting a PNG layer with transparencies. It’d clip it and mess up my careful alignment. You can see someone else suffering from this on the Adobe forums.
This could not stand.
If you don’t want to see the setup for the issue and just want the answer . . . take the paint brush set the opacity to 0 and make a slash across the top prior to export.
These last few posts are an attempt to document both how things I post on this blog come back up and help me do new things and an attempt to document how I come to solutions for things that I don’t understand how to do. Then there’s an attempt to explain what I did in case anyone else wants to do the same. I hope that it’s a narrative on my learning process as much as it is a tutorial on the particular topic. The Past So I’m fairly focused on making things easier for myself for the simple fact that if they don’t make sense/work with my current life then I tend not to keep them up. A good examples is that way back in 2011Nothing wrong with letting an idea ripen. I modified the WordPress “Press This” bookmarklet in combination with the WordPress Snap plugin to allow me to auto generate screenshots of pages. I used it a few times after that but it didn’t fit my workflow. It solved one problem- I wanted visuals of these websites to make the posts more engaging but I didn’t want to take screenshots, upload them etc.I’m lazy I guess. So one problem solved but the fact remained that I didn’t use “Press This” to bookmark pages. I used Diigo for […]
The FI Video Collective is a really fun project that Molly is leading centered around VCU’s common book. This spring semester, Focused Inquiry faculty are teaming up with ALT Lab to offer a unique creative opportunity to UNIV 112 students. This project is inspired by the artistic style of the winter reading selection, Lauren Redniss’ “Radioactive,” in combination with crowdsourced video projects like Hit Record’s “First Stars I See Tonight” and The Johnny Cash Project. The end product will be a single video featuring a story collectively written and created by as many UNIV 112 students as are interested in participating. The video will premiere at the FI Expo on May 4th. My summary, in case you are not a video person (really, just watch it), is imagine a bunch of faculty and students collaboratively creating a video with options for participation ranging from script writing and acting, to creating music, to drawing a lamp. Lots of access points for people who like to do different things all leading to a massive collaborative project. The Theme Part While nothing like driving the projectThe humans are always the hardest part., I had a couple challenges on the web side of things. We needed a way to say what media was needed from students and to associate it with the script/narrative so that’d it make […]
I remain kind of amazed with how many little tricks can be done with Google Sheets. After seeing Alan’s post today, I wonder how much of the data I could pull (assuming we had the right user names and knew the services . . . really the harder part) just using Google Sheets. Turns out we could get a pretty good amount. The following is a mix of XPath, regex, and APIs. I started with as little real programming as possible and gradually increased sophistication. The following are just meant to get a rough idea of how much stuff you’ve got in the various spaces. Flickr The URL: http://flickr.com/photos/bionicteaching The function: =IMPORTXML(C2,”//*[@class=’photo-count’]”) This uses a basic Google Sheets function to grab the photo-count content. The function is grabbing the div class with the title photo-count. Vimeo The URL: http://vimeo.com/twwoodward The function: =INDEX(IMPORTXML(C3,”//*[@class=’stat_list_count’]”),1) Pretty similar to the example above but with the addition of INDEX. That solves the problem that there are multiple items that are all in the stat_list_count class and we only want the first matching item. Sound Cloud The URL: http://soundcloud.com/cogdog The function: =REGEXEXTRACT(IMPORTXML(C4,”//*[@name=’description’]/@content”),”([0-9]+) Tracks”) This gets a bit fancier. IMPORTXML brings in a large chunk of content from the page but it wasn’t structured in a way that I could get the exact information I wanted. REGEX […]