In responding to some data requests, I delved into the WP tables to pull some rampages data.
All users ever . . .
I need to set up something more automated but for this I dumped the MySQL tables as CSVs and then just imported them to Google Sheets. With very minimal functions, I got this data.
Sometimes people just want a little bit of WordPress. Before hanging a left with the anth101.com site, we pruned it waaaaay down and tried to make it as simple as possible. This is a pretty solid example that WordPress can be just about anything you want if you’re willing to put in a bit of time and effort. I figure having all these things in one place will help someone else (me most likely) at some point. Hide Posts from Other Authors If you have many authors, you often don’t want them seeing a bunch of posts in the admin area that they can’t edit. Make their lives easier and hide everything else. I believe this is where I found the code. Remove Sidebar Options To further clean up the sidebar for authors, the following code removes lots of things that you don’t want students bothering with anyway. You can get lots of details on this in the codex. Go to Directly to Post, Do Not Pass Dashboard This shunts people directly to the posts area rather than going to the dashboard on login. Posts in Single Column This sets the posts to single column display to simplify writing and was found here. Purify and Rename the Post Page This chunk removes certain meta boxes and restructures the language on […]
This post is specifically about addressing a syllabus submission problem but it’s worth thinking about more broadly. It should be pretty applicable to any structured data entry problem you have. These are often administrative chores (like this one) but could also be about cataloging grave markers or indexing resources or Collecting the syllabi for their department is one of those miserable things department chairs often have to do. They then need to store and reference those syllabi for a few years.I feel like I already wrote this post . . . but since I can’t find it . . . The normal pattern is to ask people to email the syllabus and there is usually some desperate plea for a common naming convention.Start with your last name, then underscore . . . This plea is followed by ~2 people. People are bad at directions (giving and following). Email makes this basic flaw 20 times worse.You can then square the chance of error because everyone hates turning in stuff like this. This particular pattern for misery incarnate is repeated over and over at VCU and across universities everywhere. I recently met with a faculty member who’d at least been asked to submit the syllabus to a shared Google Drive folder but he was having issues because of directions and Google’s interface […]
Pure click-bait gold, baby!My wife insisted I add the comma. She claimed it wasn’t possible I really meant a solid gold click-bait baby despite my insistence that I meant exactly that. You know I’m focused on those high-traffic titles. And now on to the show . . . I’m doing a site for the esteemed Jon Becker’s school law class. The goal is to take tweets that exemplify really bad legal choices by public school administrators. They even have a hashtag – #schoollawwtf. Since we’re taking tweets into WordPress for further analysis we end up with some weird constraints. I can’t rely on useful titles if we want to automate this as the tweet content might contain any number of things and the regex to try to purify it wouldn’t be worth the hassle. New content wouldn’t have any body text either because it’s just a tweet. Granted, I could duplicate that text in the body but I didn’t really see much point in that. I opted to stick the tweet URL in a custom field. That soon led me to the handy wp_oembed_get function which was new to me.I really need to sit down and just read the whole codex. That worked very nicely for display on single posts (screenshot and code snippet below). Where it ended up failing […]