See the Pen text analysis color viz – step 1 by Tom (@twwoodward) on CodePen. Assuming you have sentences, phrases, or words you’d like to categorize . . . you could do something like this to create a visualization. This one is using CSS but it could be done in any basic word processing software. Setting levels of opacity would allow for multiple-overlapping categorizations. See the Pen text analysis color viz – step 2 by Tom (@twwoodward) on CodePen. Playing with font size and the rotation of the paragraph also opens up some doors . . . as does doing different rotations at the sentence level depending on the categorization of the sentence. You could get even more granular with stuff like that using data attributes and CSS. See the Pen text analysis color viz – step 4 by Tom (@twwoodward) on CodePen. A Bit Odder See the Pen text analysis color viz – step 5 by Tom (@twwoodward) on CodePen.
I had a spreadsheet that entered blank cells when there was more than one admin for a WordPress site. So if Site_1 had two admins, I’d get two rows of data. The first row for the site would have- siteURL | siteTitle | siteAdmin but the second row for that site would have something like- < blank > | < blank > | siteAdmin I started to just drag down and fill but there was lots of data and it just felt like something for the machine to do. The following Google Script did it for me in a few seconds despite a couple thousand rows of data. Not rocket science but it might be handy for someone and it was a really convenient example of variables and loops when I had a conversation with my son last night.
Radioactive is the book that VCU’s first-year students are reading. It’s an interesting book with interesting art and collage playing a major role in the design. I hadn’t really looked at it until this morning but I ended up in a conversation and an idea came to mind. “What if we could deconstruct elements of the text (words and images) and give them to students to recombine in interesting ways?” It seemed like a fun thing to do and within reach based on work I’d done earlier with Google Spreadsheet Fridge Poetry but I wanted a few more capabilities to help people create better visual products. I took my phone and took a bunch of quick pictures of pages from the book that seemed interesting and easy to cut out. That took about 10 minutes to photograph and drop the backgrounds.1 Another 10 minutes and I had a working prototype using the old Google Fridge Poetry. Not bad but I wanted to be able to rotate/resize images and be able to save the results as an image file (something I tried but failed at doing last time around). Resizing It turned out resizing was built into jQuery with the resizeable. $( “.resize” ).resizable(); Nice but it resizes the element holding the image rather than the image itself . . . […]