Google Script Folder Copying Postmortem

Image from page 93 of “Elementary and dental radiography” (1813) flickr photo by Internet Archive Book Images shared with no copyright restriction (Flickr Commons) This is the blow-by-blow documentation of a failure of sorts. Nothing makes me angrier than failing to deliver on something I said I could/would do. I ended up delivering what was needed but the way I had to do it was ugly and time-intensive. All of this happened because of two things- insufficient initial testing and not enough knowledge on my end at a couple of key steps. I’ve got lots of ideas I need to test out now that I’ve learned a few things the hard way but I thought it’d be beneficial to see how I tried to think through this thing when various paths failed . . . and with that welcome to my postmortem. I thought we had the Social Work Google Docs Digital Portfolio thing figured out. I even wrote a blog post. Events coalesced to remind me that I do not know enough stuff. However, I do intend to learn from painful mistakes like this and give you my tears and frustration for you free of charge.1 Initial tests felt a bit slow but nothing too bad. Google Scripts will timeout after 6 minutes but I thought we’d be ok […]