Weekly Web Harvest for 2017-08-20
- Death of an earl – Thomas Morris
Then Doctor West came, who advised a frying pan made red hot to be applied to the head…
A ‘glyster’ is an enema. Tobacco enemas were widely used at this date in resuscitation – the standard treatment in cases of drowning. So although blowing tobacco smoke up a dead man’s bottom may sound eccentric, it was perfectly orthodox therapy. The doctors were now at their wits’ end, so tried one more extreme treatment as last resort.
- This DIY pixelstick lets you make amazing in-camera effects / Boing Boing
The pixelstick is an ADRESSABLE RGB LED STRIP controlled by an Arduino that can display all sorts of animations to make awesome lightpaintings photographs. Each LED acts like a pixel on a screen, displaying an image one vertical line at a time as you walk. These vertical lines, when captured by a long exposure photography, combine to recreate your image in mid air, leaving the person using it invisible. This technique is also called lightpaintings.
- You’re not going to believe what I’m about to tell you (classroom-friendly version) – The Oatmeal
- Dev Tips – Developer Tips by Umar Hansa
little web dev chrome tips
- Disneyland meets Hogwarts at $700-million USC Village – LA Times
Once you walk inside any of the buildings it becomes clear that the Gothic exterior is a stage set, a false front behind which lies a drearily conventional series of spaces.