Weekly Web Harvest for 2019-04-28
- The Dr. Tressie McMillan Cottom on Twitter: “Shorter: Voiced pauses are an important part of communication and group identity! If you hate the ones in your group, you’re probably not really in that group.” / Twitter
Shorter: Voiced pauses are an important part of communication and group identity! If you hate the ones in your group, you’re probably not really in that group.
- Uber apologizes for tweeting racial slur / Boing Boing
I wonder how these sorts of human/bot intentional problem causing will escalate as this becomes more and more popular.
- Handouts, Slides, and Recordings from #NCTMSD2019 – dy/dan
I wrote a script that copied every speaker’s Twitter handle and the time of their session from the program book. Then the script searched Twitter for their handle and “#NCTMSD2019” and – here’s the thing! – captured the results only from the time period of their session. Not during their flight to NCTM. Not during the fantastic happy hour after their session either.
//might be worth making an addon for the Tags plugin
- Probable Russian Navy covert camera whale discovered by Norwegians | Ars Technica
The harness was reportedly marked with the label “Equipment St. Petersburg” and had an attachment point for a GoPro camera. Audun Rikardsen, a professor at the Norwegian Arctic University in Tromsø (UiT), told Norway’s VG that neither Norwegian nor Russian academic researchers put harnesses on whales. “I have been in contact with some Russian researchers,” Rikardsen said. “They can confirm that it is nothing they are doing. They tell me that most likely is the Russian Navy in Murmansk.”
- A doorbell company owned by Amazon wants to start producing “crime news” and it’ll definitely end well » Nieman Journalism Lab
The Managing Editor, News will work on an exciting new opportunity within Ring to manage a team of news editors who deliver breaking crime news alerts to our neighbors. This position is best suited for a candidate with experience and passion for journalism, crime reporting, and people management. Having a knack for engaging storytelling that packs a punch and a strong nose for useful content are core skills that are essential to the success of this role. The candidate should be eager to join a dynamic, new media news team that is rapidly evolving and growing week by week.
- Lin-Manuel Miranda on Twitter: “What in all the bulls*** fine printery… (I’m not teaching any online classes besides the twitter ramblings I give you for free) https://t.co/f5cBvT2M6k” / Twitter
All is not as it seems.