Weekly Web Harvest for 2018-03-04
- Promisees · Courtesy of ponyfoo.com
- Inside Einstein’s head – an explorable explanation of relativistic spacetime
- The Disconnect – Issue One
Please Disconnect from the Internet. This is an offline-only magazine of commentary, fiction, and poetry. Just disable your WiFi to view this issue.
- Rage against the machine: self-driving cars attacked by angry Californians | Technology | The Guardian
The two human-on-robot assaults are not the first time San Franciscans have fought back – physically – against robots.
In December, the local SPCA animal shelter removed its 400lb Knightscope security robot from the streets around its building amid backlash from residents and the homeless population who complained the robot was harassing them. While most residents simply complained about the robot’s presence, one person reportedly “put a tarp over it, knocked it over and put barbecue sauce on all the sensors”.
- The Wire, 10 years on: ‘We tore the cover off a city and showed the American dream was dead’ | Television & radio | The Guardian
Greek tragedy for the new millennium,” with sclerotic institutions playing the role of callous, indifferent gods
- AllSides Bias Rating (ABR) – AllSides
–ripe for all kinds of issues
The AllSides patented bias detection and display technology drives arguably the world’s most effective and up-to-date bias detection engine. It’s powered by a combination of wisdom-of-the-crowd technology and the best statistical research and methodologies.
- United Airlines employees shocked: Bonuses replaced with lottery – Chicago Business Journal
Kirby issued an employee memo in which he announced that the Chicago-based airline is dropping the quarterly performance bonuses the carrier had been giving out to all employees qualified to receive them.
Kirby said in the memo, obtained by the Chicago Business Journal, that the bonus payouts are being replaced with a new program called “core4 Score Rewards,” which Kirby said would include quarterly prizes like cash ranging from $2,000 to $40,000, luxury cars, vacation packages, and a grand of prize of $100,000 awarded to one eligible employee per quarter.