Weekly Web Harvest for 2019-06-16
- xkcd: Stack
Moder tech stack
- You Are Now Browsing In Incognito Mode – McSweeney’s Internet Tendency
- Who Gets to Own the West? – The New York Times
f America. In the last decade, private land in the United States has become increasingly concentrated in the hands of a few. Today, just 100 families own about 42 million acres across the country, a 65,000-square-mile expanse, according to the Land Report, a magazine that tracks large purchases. Researchers at the magazine have found that the amount of land owned by those 100 families has jumped 50 percent since 2007.
- Norwegian island wants to become the world’s first time-free zone – Story | KTVU
“When you live in Northern Norway, it doesn’t make sense to talk about daylight saving time, bedtime, dinner time, or any other time,” says Kjell Ove Hveding, one of the key islanders behind the initiative. “The midnight sun makes clocks an unnecessary nuisance, and we wish to be a time-free zone.”
–just talking about removing the concept of time from my life earlier today
- The Robot Choir
- Teachers Often Experience ‘Moral Injury’ on the Job, Study Finds – Teaching Now – Education Week Teacher
But a new study in the American Educational Research Journal finds that some of these choices may be causing teachers moral injury—that is, the feeling that they or their colleagues are making decisions that go against their deeply held values. In a survey of educators in an urban Midwest district, 4 in 5 said they witnessed other staff doing things that were morally wrong, while almost half said they themselves had acted in a way that betrayed their values.
- Tekakak – the new school of the Techno-Absurd – Technoskeptic – A Technoskeptic, Techno-Realist Forum – Known as Blackhole.City