500 Error on wp-admin after upgrade
This happened with one of our individual installs and it’s happened before (but I forgot the solution) so I’m writing it down.
After the upgrade to 4.7.1, the front of the sight still worked but attempts to get to wp-admin failed with a 500 error and the URL was redirecting to something with upgrade.php? in the URL.
Change the name of the plugin folder (I just prepend an underscore).
Revisit your login URL.
Run the database upgrade as prompted.
You should now be in the admin zone.
Fix your plugin folder name.
Easy but also easy to forget.
Image thanks to Armando. In WordPress Multisite, a user can sign up under an email address. They then decide to delete their account for some odd reason. If they try to sign up again under that same email, it’ll say the email address is being used and will become available in a few days. In a situation like ours (all accounts are restricted to VCU email addresses) that’s a problem. You can jump right into phpMyAdmin and delete the row that contains this information in the wp_signups table. That’s no big deal unless you have a giant database and then using phpMyAdminIt’s likely someone with more skills would just use the command line to knock all this out but I’m not there yet. I’m working on it. is a very special kind of slow motion misery. The following two piece solution allows me to just go to a website, enter the email address I wish to expunge and presto change-o the email is available to be used again. This isn’t rocket science (but it may be helpful) and there may be alternate paths. Those who know better, feel free to warn and/or educate me. Piece 1 A little tiny HTML form. Piece 2
So I’ve installed WPMU on one of our externally hosted servers and with Jim’s patient assistance have been trying to get it in shape. One of the things I needed was the theme editor. So I was going through the steps to get it installed and things are looking good when . . . I hit the theme editor tab and the video below happenedand happened every single time I hit the theme editor tab. In all honesty, the first time it happened it scared the hell out of me. I frantically thought of all the vague warnings I’d received, reconsidered what I’ve done with file permissions, wished I’d backed things up and then realized I already had. I’ve since been wrestling with the .htaccess file and other fairly dreadful nerd stuff. Unfortunately, this server is running both PHP 4 and 5 and has some custom .htaccess stuff set up to password directories down the line. This has led to all kinds of hassle for me (and as a result hassle for Jim 🙂 who has insisted I blog about the easter egg so he can reblog itIsn’t the Internet a weird place).
Sometimes it’s the tiny, little bitty things. This is one of those times.Other times your post title is only mostly misleading. Issue: Lesley Bullock is an awesome ornithology instructor who has all her students doing field work and they’re aggregating their work to a main mother blog hub. She is even having them record and upload bird songs which is entirely awesome. The problem was that when aggregated, the built in WordPress player wouldn’t show up. Oddly, it’s there in the code. I could see it there taunting me (below). However, the visibility was set to hidden. Once I realized the content was coming in, I tried the least invasive response- that is I just tried to override the CSS using the custom CSS option in Jetpack. No dice. Given that this is hardcoded into the post at the element level that wasn’t a huge surprise but it was worth a shot.Oddly enough if you add an additional audio file or even repost the original everything works as expected. I have no idea why. I couldn’t find anything that flipped any switches and eventually gave up on that track. I considered a few other options- Feed WordPress advanced filters, altering the core WordPress files . . . and they either wouldn’t do what I wanted or they felt too dramatic […]