Embed a Google Folder in Populr.me
We’ve had a few people who became big fans of populr.me. They’re also using Google Docs/Drive and since I like things to blend . . . here’s how you embed a Google Drive folder into populr.me. The example is here if you want to check it out.
Getting That iFrame Stuff
I started to write directions on how to do this but just built a little tool instead.
I wanted a Twitterbot to push out Markov generated stuff from Emily Dickinson’s work. I wanted to do it fairly quickly as it was inspired by an awesome discussion yesterday with Jason Coats who will be teaching one of VCU’s online courses this summer on poetry. One of his goals was to encourage students to put themselves out there and engage with poetry. I thought mechanically created poetry might allow for a certain degree of freedom of analysis and Emily Dickinson’s work was particularly well suited to the Markov genre. As I already had a Markov generator running with some of the possible texts for Gardner and Jon’s MOOC this summer, it was easy enough to switch out the source material with Emily Dickinson’s work. It never hurts to be able to build what you discuss while still carrying on the discussion. That’s one of the things I love about computers. So that got me the Markov portion but it was on a web page and would require either a visit or a manual action to feed it into Twitter (which Jason had used previously with his students). To get at Twitter I needed a new Twitter account EmilyMkv which I got by using this GMail alias trick. It’s handy if you run out of unique emails. As I thought […]
flickr photo shared by OSU Special Collections & Archives : Commons with no copyright restriction (Flickr Commons) A while back I was logging emails in a Google sheet via IFTTT. I’d add a hashtag and forward it on where a spreadsheet would parse out some stuff from the subject line based on the | character. At some point it stopped working and I never quite figured out what the issue was. I thought I wrote about it but, if I did, I can’t find it. It may be in one of my many draft posts. In any case, here’s a better and more customizable solution. It’ll grab anything I label ‘support’ and throw it in a spreadsheet with a few different chunks of information in different columns (to, from, date, subject line, link to the email). You’d open a spreadsheet and name a sheet ‘data.’ Open up the script editor (Tools>Script Editor) and put the script below in it. You might want to change the search parameters. Look at the stuff below the asterisk line. If you want to play around with the right search parameters, just practice in GMail with these parameters and then use them in the query variable below. You will want to set the trigger to run at 1-2AM each day. So now, all I have […]