Ricoh Theta to YouTube 360 on a Mac
The easiest path for me to get Theta video on YouTube using a Mac ended up being . . .
- Change file from m4v to mov – just rename the file and confirm.
- Open the renamed video file with the Spatial Media Metadata Injector program
- Save it
- Upload to YouTube and wait a bit as it’ll take a while after upload for it to become 360 interactive but it does get there.
Try the POC here. Talking to Britt and John “Aughie” Aughenbaugh (who will be teaching an intro to government course online this summer), Aughie mentioned a conversation he had with some students about whether Chris Christie could be a legitimate contender for president after all the recent bridge drama. That led to some talk of other historical political drama and how things were slightly different back then. It led to some wondering about how previous presidential candidates/winners might fare in today’s 24 hour news cycle (AKA the CNN Effect). The rough idea was to build a randomizer that would present three randomized US presidents with three randomized traits/characteristics. Students would be able to argue whether a person with those traits would be electable. Clearly, I like randomization but it’s more than just the chaotic serendipitous aspect. I think it adds an element that makes it “safer” for students. It is random after all, there can’t be a specific answer the instructor wants because the question can’t be totally predicted. Plus, it takes work off the instructor and adds variety to the responses since everyone gets different prompts. I had this meeting Wednesday and wanted to get a semi-decent looking proof of concept built fairly quickly. I knew I wanted images of the presidents and figured I could re-use some of […]
Someone at work mentioned that the Flickr WordPress widget didn’t work with group photos. We use this group as part of our (sort of just getting started) Friday photo walks. Since I’m trying to learn stuff I figured I’d play a bit with the Flickr API and see how that worked. After getting an API key, my first stop was at URLs. I thought that’d mean endpoints like on Instagram but it was the URL structures for photos. Useful and needed but not what I thought it’d be. I then saw in the right hand sidebar groups and browse. That turned out to be a list of groups. I ended up finding what I wanted at groups.pools get photos. I planned to get the information in json if I could given I’d just spent some time figuring out how that worked so I went back to the main index thinking the json response format would show me how to ask for json data given the variables I’d seen as options in groups.pools.getphotos. It didn’t. This section shows the structure of the json response. Which makes sense it just wasn’t what I was looking for. I found what I was looking for under request.formats which makes sense. This shows the URL structure. https://api.flickr.com/services/rest/?method=flickr.test.echo&name=value is the basic URL. Method is the thing […]
There are a bunch of these out there but the ones I knew of didn’t quite do what was needed by the Focused Inquiry faculty involved in this project. They wanted a couple things to be possible. The ability to link to specific elements via URL and have them expand. The URL to those elements to remain consistent even if the order of the elements was changed. An “email this URL” link to enable faculty to send the URL to students Plus/Minus indicators based on expanded/collapsed. Most shortcode plugins I’ve seen either don’t have an ID for the collapse element or make it sequential (which changes if you shift the order). Neither works well for a URL that needs to be consistent. I’ve never seen one to do the email element. In my head, I made this way harder than it needed to be. It ends up being just two shortcodes- one for the collapsible container and one for the item-level elements. I found this Bootstrap snippet that did most of the functional Bootstrap stuff that I needed. I found a script to let me expand elements via URL parameters. I reminded myself what a freaking mailto link structure looked like. Now I just had to figure out what variables needed to be set in the shortcode and how the […]