Way back when, I really, really wanted to do something with this whole BattleDecks idea. Two years or so later and I finally step up to the plate.
These were the rules my students got when they came in.
Your group will be assigned to one of the following topics.
1. Internet safety
2. 21st century skills
3. Technology integration
4. The future of education
* Your presentation will last between 2 and 3 minutes
* You can only choose from these 20 pictures
* You must use 10 of the provided images
* You can add no more than 10 written words in the entire slide show2
You have 30 minutes to prepare.
So it’s not exactly like the BattleDecks setup but it’s close enough and I think the rule changes made allow for more processing and a little less improv/comedy talent being necessary. The students had a lot of fun and the presentations were pretty decent. I think they’d improve the more we did this sort of thing.
My plan for next semester is to do this weekly or every two weeks as a review of the previous class. I’m kicking around a few additional ideas to keep it interesting.
- having the students pick the images for the next group
- giving less options on the photos
- adding a required phrase or series of words
- allowing for one wild card image
I like this activity for all sorts of reasons. It allows for a lot processing, creativity and gets people thinking about presenting in a different way. It also works for all sorts of content.