Beer Bubbles CSS
Another random conversation led to this experiment . . . it’s animated CSS which is pretty cool but I can’t take any credit for it.
I found this example on Codepen and then mainly gutted it to make what you see below (also a minor experiment with flexbox).
See the Pen CSS Animated Beer Pour (Forked from CSS Beaker Pen) by Tom (@twwoodward) on CodePen.
flickr photo shared by Thomas Hawk under a Creative Commons ( BY-NC ) license This is in response to something Adam Croom wrote two(?) days ago. I thought it’d be an interesting proof of concept and would let me figure out some things with a purpose. I also like to have a few projects going on at once so I have things to switch between when I get frustrated. I also see this kind of information pushing/pulling as broadly applicable. Some of this stuff is no doubt uglier than it had to be but I’ll try to show some intersections that happened to occur with other projects and how certain steps might be ignored entirely if you want to be all efficient and stuff. The final plugin is here and should be a decent start to any customized import you want to run against a CSV file. Adam had information in Discogs. He wanted that information in WordPress where he could control it. I had never heard of the site, let alone seen its API. But it well documented and it took me a few minutes to realize I could get all the data I needed without even needing to authenticate. The user data was associated with collections and appending 0 would get me the root level stuff. With Adam’s […]
I remain kind of amazed with how many little tricks can be done with Google Sheets. After seeing Alan’s post today, I wonder how much of the data I could pull (assuming we had the right user names and knew the services . . . really the harder part) just using Google Sheets. Turns out we could get a pretty good amount. The following is a mix of XPath, regex, and APIs. I started with as little real programming as possible and gradually increased sophistication. The following are just meant to get a rough idea of how much stuff you’ve got in the various spaces. Flickr The URL: http://flickr.com/photos/bionicteaching The function: =IMPORTXML(C2,”//*[@class=’photo-count’]”) This uses a basic Google Sheets function to grab the photo-count content. The function is grabbing the div class with the title photo-count. Vimeo The URL: http://vimeo.com/twwoodward The function: =INDEX(IMPORTXML(C3,”//*[@class=’stat_list_count’]”),1) Pretty similar to the example above but with the addition of INDEX. That solves the problem that there are multiple items that are all in the stat_list_count class and we only want the first matching item. Sound Cloud The URL: http://soundcloud.com/cogdog The function: =REGEXEXTRACT(IMPORTXML(C4,”//*[@name=’description’]/@content”),”([0-9]+) Tracks”) This gets a bit fancier. IMPORTXML brings in a large chunk of content from the page but it wasn’t structured in a way that I could get the exact information I wanted. REGEX […]
flickr photo shared by Internet Archive Book Images with no copyright restriction (Flickr Commons) A week or two ago some faculty members asked me about getting the Leadership Education in Neurodevelopmental Disabilities (LEND) content out of the Moodle hosted at Vanderbilt and into WordPress. I figured I could do this. Someone might even have done it already. If not, I figured the export options would have to put out something fairly straightforward that could be parsed. In any case, the majority of my learning comes from committing to things I don’t quite know how to do. Turns out I couldn’t find anyone who’d done this before. I went a variety of different routes as I attempted not to do the work myself. First, I exported the course in the two different flavors that were available (SCORMI’m pretty sure this is a comic book villain./Course Cartridge and Moodle backup). Just for fun I tried a few different flavors of import plugins . . . Edwiser Bridge might have worked but required a higher level of connection to Moodle than I felt like dealing with and seemed more focused on integration rather than migration, Simple CSV Importer and WP All Import both failed to do what I needed despite pushing XML around a bit to try to make it work. So with […]