Page Five of Internet Safety Comic
This the 101st post and page five of the ongoing Internet safety comic. Yeah for us! Not a bad start.
Click to image get the full size.
Download all of the pages here.
Dan’s got another What Can You Do With ThisI love this concept and find it one of the best ideas for staffdev I’ve ever seen. I’m going to attempt to steal it and use it as part of a class I’m teaching this summer on instructional technology. challenge up. This time it’s dealing with a numeric keypad. Basically, it’s what can you do (in a more lesson plan focused format this time) with an image he’s posted of a numeric door key padIt’s far more engaging than it sounds. Go check it out.. I’m not helping much with Dan’s lesson plan but I’d actually have the challenge be to break the combination. I’d take bets on how long it’d take to break into this door if it had a one digit code, a two digit code, a three digit code and a four digit code (maybe go higher?). I’d write down the bet times- maybe graph them. Then I’d give them a chance to try it and I’d record the times when they did break in. If people had computers this would be an easy thing to do. Here’s the Excel spreadsheet I’d use (not very pretty – just a proof of concept). I’d lock the one I gave the kids with a password of course. It’s pretty simple stuff. […]
Talking to Dan about his sports law course resulted in this random generator which might be fun for others. It’s still developing but I like the potential for reinforcing some concepts about free speech in a fun way that allows you to repeatedly explore the topic without it getting tedious. I thought this would be a few minutes of work but I believe that Google has shifted the structure of their JSON feeds from the Spreadsheet. It could also be that I am insane. This particular experience did remind, rather unpleasantly, that I don’t fully understand how nested JSON parsing works. I ended up in the right place but only through about 40 minutes of slamming my head into various walls of misunderstanding. I also need to spend a bit of time applying the DRY concept to this bloated mess.