Edu-pumkin II – The Bava
I had to make a hole in the back of Jim’s head to let some of the hot air out. Still needs some work though as the candle keeps going out.
1 You should see what Santa looks like in our house.
Bean with Tools on the Ocean of Storms flickr photo by NASA on The Commons shared with no copyright restriction (Flickr Commons) We’re taking a much deeper dive into accessibility lately. It is a fruitful and good thing to do but also one of those deceptively deep topics with lots of complications. As a result I’m learning a good bit so I better write it down before it’s all forgotten. Two Handy Tools Thanks to both Matt and Jeff, I ended up using a few different tools.It is so very nice to work with people. Even with the Internet, having people around doing the same things is very pleasant and useful. Google’s Vox Plugin helps you get a better idea what the experience was going to be like for someone with issues seeing the website. Using this will enable you to understand exactly how some of your decisions play out. I found it very handy. As a minor warning, there appears to be no way to turn it off/on short of disabling the extension. Despite that, I really think it’s a good idea to spend some time using this tool. It really helps. The other useful tool so far has been the Siteimprove Chrome extension. It’s pretty handy to see what warnings/failures are in play in each page. It’s led […]
Pre-Intervention Post-Intervention I’ve often had requests to make the admin dashboard in WordPress simpler for students (although it’s just as likely applicable to faculty or humans in general). The example in the Juxtapose box above (slide it!)I’ve been having some issues with Knightlab stuff loading recently. Maybe they’re too popular or VCU is flagging them on the network in some way. They run fine when I install the libraries locally. The result above is an example based on one such request. The goal was to take the initial dashboard and reduce it down to the absolute minimum of items needed for students and to move them directly into the place they were likely to spend most of their time working (not the dashboard). The code below is all stuff that ends up living the functions file of the custom theme or could be incorporated into a plugin.There are plugins that do aspects of this but I wanted to keep this fairly lean and didn’t want the overhead of multiple plugins to achieve this particular result. This following code from here makes sure that the only posts an author sees are the ones they wrote. I’m not sure why that’s not the default but . . . The following removes menu items from the sidebar. It’s a combination of things I […]
Normally we finish our projects in anywhere from a few hours to a few weeks. Digital Histology has been the exception to that rule. I can see a reference to the site going back to Nov. of 2016! That doesn’t mean we’ve worked on this site continuously for years. The gaps have been frequent and long. OER grants have been written and won. Presentations have been made. Work has ebbed and flowed as the massive amount of content has been entered. There are more than 1500 pagesWatch the pages scroll by . . . and over 5GBs of images. It’s a large site. A ton of work has gone into its construction, new goals have developed, and just about all of it is a little strange. I’m not sure if that’s because of the way the project got started or a result of choices I made. I figured I’d better document some of this before I forgot all of it. The History I don’t recall all the details but essentially long ago in a Macromedia Authorware galaxy far, far away a digital histology program was constructed. Time passed. Acorns grew into trees. WINE was now required to launch the digital histology program. The screen was a tiny 752×613. It only ran on desktops. Updating it was nearly impossible. Things were […]