Origin Story There once was a group who really liked Google Plus. With the demise of the service, they were unhappy. With this request, I wondered if we might just build a very similar experience in WordPress. I think I ended up getting pretty close. The Look The theme is built using our normal pattern of bending Understrap so it uses Bootstrap at its core. The theme is here. I don’t know if this works decently or not (vertical slider gets kind of lost) but I took a shot at making the WordPress theme comparable to the Google Plus layout using juxtapose. If you’re anything like me, you have no real memory of what Google Plus looked like and I want you to appreciate this. Luckily I still have access to G+ through my VCU account for at least a while longer. The Masonry Grid I didn’t think too hard when I opted to make the initial masonry layout.1 I used what seemed like a really handy path. What I didn’t pay attention to was that this particular masonry-sort goes top to bottom and then left to right. Since that was brought to my attention, I’ve gone back to the G+ layout and tried to see more logic behind how they did it and what the sort order is but […]
If you cut/paste from a Google Doc into the WordPress WYSIWYG editor you get more than I want. Mainly a bunch of inline CSS that sets the font weight (see below). This is a pain because it’s going to take priority in CSS land and undoing it by hand is a hassle. Some internet wandering led me to Jonathan Nicol’s fix for some span elements and bit of adjustment allowed me to also deal with the inline CSS elements. The extra nice aspect of this as a fix is that it only applies on paste actions so you can still write the stuff in the HTML editor if you want.
In terms of basic accessibility guidelines each page should have only one H1 element. In WordPress that’s usually built into the template and is usually the title of the post or page. I was thinking about that last night and wondered if we should just remove it as an option from the TinyMCE editor in WordPress. Removing options goes against my typical stance but I couldn’t think of any scenarios that demanded an H1 element but plenty of scenarios where offering it seemed like it’d create confusion. A brief perusal of the WordPress Codex’s TinyMCE section led to the code above. I put it in our generic network-activated plugin for Rampages. Next steps could include integrating a filter in kses to remove/replace H1 elements with H2 elements but that’ll wait for now as it seems a chunk more aggressive.